Venues providing certain activities are required to obtain a Premises Licence from their local council.

Premises intending to sell alcohol or provide “licensable activities” from a particular venue are required to obtain a Premises Licence from their local council.

Premises must have a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) when applying for a Premises Licence. The DPS must have a Personal Licence to authorise every sale of alcohol.

Why do I need a Premises Licence?

A Premises Licence is required if you plan to sell alcohol or provide “licensable activities”, which include:

  • Selling alcohol
  • Serving hot food and drinks between 11pm and 5am

A Premises Licence will also be required to the following types of entertainment will be provided:

  • Theatrical performance
  • Showing a film
  • Indoor sporting event
  • Boxing or wrestling (indoor or outdoor)
  • Live music
  • Recorded music
  • Dance
  • Facilities for making music
  • Dancing facilities

A Premises Licence is still required even if these activities are for charity.

You DON’T need a licence for some types of entertainment


  • Educational or promotional films
  • Films shown as part of an exhibition in a museum or gallery
  • Incidental music (live or recorded)

How do I get a Premises Licence?

You will need to apply for a Premises Licence from your local council – that is the one where the premises are based. You will need to do the following:

  • Be 18 years or older
  • Be or appoint a Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS), who must have a Personal Licence. We offer the Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders qualification.
  • Provide the council with your details
  • Provide the council with details of your DPS
  • Provide a detailed plan of the premises
  • Provide an operating schedule, such as the hours when alcohol will be sold
  • Follow any other conditions added to your Premises Licence, such as having an age-checking policy if you sell alcohol
  • Display your ‘application notice’ at or on the premises for 28 days from the day after it was submitted.
  • Pay the local council application fee. This is based on the rateable value of the property. Application fees range from £100 to £1,905, depending on the fee band of your venue. If your premises doesn’t have a rateable value, it will fall into the lowest fee band.

Working in catering?

The Digital College has a selection of other qualifications that may be beneficial if you work in catering

Level 2 Award: Food safety and Hygiene

A Level 2 qualification awarded by Highfield Qualifications

A level 2 qualification is required for anyone working with food on a regular basis, including cafes and restaurants. View Course

Level 3 Award: Food safety and Hygiene

A Level 3 qualification awarded by Highfield Qualifications

If you are supervising others in food preparation then you are required to have a Level 3 qualification in food safety. This qualification explains your role and responsibilities when managing teams of people working with food. View Course

Personal Licence Holder

Get your your Personal Licence Holder Award (APLH) the easy way. Train online in your spare time.

  • Narrated online video content
  • Activities and progress tests
  • Mock exam with realistic practice questions
  • Easy to use online exams
  • Official Highfield Qualification
Get online training package