Anyone authorising the sale of alcohol is required to obtain a Personal Licence from their local council

Licensed Premises must ensure that someone with a Personal Licence authorises every sale of alcohol. This usually means that all staff involving in the sale of alcohol, such as selling from a bar, are Personal Licence Holders.

Both individuals and premises must apply to their local council in order to become licensed.

How do you get a Personal Licence?

You will need to apply for a Personal Licence from your local council - that is the one where you live. There are a few steps but it is similar to getting a passport. You will need to do the following:

  • Be 18 years or older
  • Get the Level 2 Award for Personal License Holders Qualification
  • Obtain and complete a Personal License application form to your local council
  • Obtain a check from the Disclosure and Barring Service. (This is the new version of the CRB check).
  • Get two passport sized photos signed by a professional to prove your identity
  • Submit the application form, your qualification certificate, your DBS check and two photos to your local council
  • Pay the local council application fee, which will be around £40

I need the Personal License Holders qualification. How do I get it?

All Personal Licence Holders are required to pass the Personal License Holders qualification, sometimes called the APLH qualification.
The Digital College offers a fully online version of the course and allows candidates to sit the exam at home. On passing the exam you would receive the official Level 2 qualification, which is awarded by Highfield Qualifications, one the the UK's largest awarding bodies

Getting the qualification is straight forward

  • Work through our online study content
  • Get ready for the exam with our mock tests with a large bank of practice questions
  • Take the qualification multiple-choice exam at home or in one of our local test centres
  • Receive the official certificate, awarded by Highfield Qualifications, by email
Get online training package

Working in catering?

The Digital College has a selection of other qualifications that may be beneficial if you work in catering

Level 2 Award: Food safety and Hygiene

A Level 2 qualification awarded by Highfield Qualifications

A level 2 qualification is required for anyone working with food on a regular basis, including cafes and restaurants. View Course

Level 3 Award: Food safety and Hygiene

A Level 3 qualification awarded by Highfield Qualifications

If you are supervising others in food preparation then you are required to have a Level 3 qualification in food safety. This qualification explains your role and responsibilities when managing teams of people working with food. View Course

Personal Licence Holder

Get your your Personal Licence Holder Award (APLH) the easy way. Train online in your spare time.

  • Narrated online video content
  • Activities and progress tests
  • Mock exam with realistic practice questions
  • Easy to use online exams
  • Official Highfield Qualification
Get online training package

Need a Premises Licence?

You will need a Premises Licence if your venue:

  • sells alcohol
  • serves hot food and drinks between 11pm and 5am
  • offers certain types of entertainment such as sport, theatre or dancing

Learn more about Premises Licences